Gerdin Business Building Expansion
Iowa State University | Ivy College of Business
45,000 sq. ft.
In 2018 Story Construction and BNIM were selected as the design-build team for this 45,000 sq. ft. expansion of the Gerdin Business Building at Iowa State University. The team broke ground in February 2019, and the building was completed and open to students and faculty in October 2020.
The expansion adds onto the east of the existing Gerdin Business Building, which was originally built in 2003. A steady but significant increase in enrollment at the Ivy College of Business made the expansion a necessity for the building, which was holding classes from early in the morning until late at night four days per week.
Throughout the project, the Gerdin building remained open for regular activity, with the exception of third floor offices. Utility interruptions were planned during holiday breaks when students were off campus, and site safety considerations prioritized the wellbeing of passersby and students inhabiting the building during construction.
- 45,000 sq. ft. expansion – a 40% increase of original space
- Central commons area for events and study space
- 35 faculty offices
- 5 additional classrooms
- 7 flexible team rooms on first and second floors
- State-of-the-art Sales Suite
- Graduate studies office space
- Seamless integration with existing building
- Identical exterior materials for visual cohesiveness